About Me

My photo
London, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
A mythical beast - a female wargamer! I got back into wargaming in the summer of 2011 after a very, very long break and haven't looked back since. I must admit that I seem to be more of a painter/collector than a gamer, but do hope to correct that at some point in the near future. My gaming interests span the ages, from the "Biblical" era all the way through to the far future. I enjoy games of all sizes, from a handful of figures up to major battles (see my megalomaniacally sized Choson Korean and Russian Seven Years War armies).

Friday 5 December 2014

In The Beginning There Was...

...a table full of primed figures waiting to be painted.

As many of you will have realised, this year's Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge kicked off this morning at 6am UK time. Sadly for me, I had to go to work today, so missed out on the first 12 hours or so of painting time.

There have already been two entries, possibly more by the time you read this. Curt kicked proceedings off with his anti-hero - Boromir from Lord of the Rings. This was followed quickly by Miles with three mobile artillery pieces for "All Quiet on the Martian Front". How they managed to get these painted, based and photographed so quickly is beyond me. Great work by both of them.

As for my campaign, once I'd had a cup of tea and some hot buttered crumpets on getting home from work, I cracked on with work on my first batch of figures. I'm kicking off with my Seven Years War Russian cavalry.



As you can see, I've done the base colour on the horses so far. Tomorrow I'll do the shading and markings on the horses and hopefully the tack and saddle cloths. Once that is done, I'll switch to working on 2 regiments at a time (probably hussars, then horse grenadiers, then cuirassiers).

I've just placed an order with Donnington for the handful of Mongols I need. While I was doing that, I thought that I might as well order some more 30 Years War figures, so I will have enough coming in for my seventh 9-base later tercio. These will be a "Yellow" regiment. The Mongols might get painted during the Challenge; the 30YW boys will have to wait until after it has finished.

10 comments:

  1. Great start Tamsin... and a nice little painting factory set-up to boot :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well at least you're off and running, good luck maintaining the pace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've managed to make up for lost time today I think and you're working your plan.

    Right now my eyes are crossed so I'm taking a break.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Though it was a late start, you have been doing good so far. I am looking forward to see more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A great start Tamsin. My secret to the first entry? No sleep. I just powered through the night and photographed at first light (as you know, nine hours for a single 28mm is quite doable). I'm on a bit of a sugar/caffeine buz now as I've not slept for almost 38 hours. Time to fall down soon...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice start Tamsin. Curt don't endanger your health!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice work. They will be fab when finished. A good start I shall look forward to seeing them in the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great looking mounts - I suspect you'll have a stunning submission when done.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck Tamsin - I'm looking forward to lots of eye candy from you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @ Blax - production line is the best way of doing horses, I've found. Once the horse colours are done, it's easier to split up and paint individual units (or pairs of units).

    @ Zabadak - maintaining the pace is going to be interesting. 100 points a week could be quite tough, but I reckon I can manage it.

    @ Anne - well, it was always going to be the case of missing a few hours a day for work :)

    @ Stargazer - a good start is always good :)

    @ Curt - ahhh, no sleep. That explains muchness. Just make sure to put down lots of cushions so that when you do fall down you don't hurt yourself :)

    @ Adam - cheers! :)

    @ Clint - I certainly hope they'll look fab when finished :)

    @ Miles - I do seem to have the knack for painting horses in 15mm. From past submissions, you can be assured they'll look stunning. Whether or not the riders will be stunning is another matter entirely...

    @ Dannoc - thanks. I'm sure there will be a lot of eye candy :)

    ReplyDelete